Tuesday 29 July 2008

Update on Jason.

Well, Jason's had his operation. I think the photo's say more than words ever can. However here's the technical bit:

Jasein has a type of cerebral palsy which is a short circuiting between the brain and the muscles. There are all types and variations of this. Different types of the body can be affected as well as various muscle manifestations and levels of intelligence. Pre operatively Jasein was a minimal ambulator. He has problems with balance and involuntary movements (athetosis) that can not be significantly improved by any types of procedures. These typically are static – not improving or worsening over time. However some of his deficits can be overcome by training therapy etc. just as any of the rest of us would learn to do a new sport. He was noted to have an internal torsion of his Left femur and a contracture of the Left knee. These both can be improved with surgery which we performed on July 22.

The surgery went well as planned. The femur was cut and derotated and securely fixed in a position 40 degrees externally rotated from where he was. As well some tendons behind his knee were lengthened. The hardware is strong and can tolerate weight bearing. He is to keep his knee immobilizer on full time for 4 weeks then may remove it in the day time only for another 4 weeks after which time he does not need it. He also was given a plastic brace to help align the L foot which can be used as needed. He does not need anything special in the weeks to come and can begin some short distance (in house) walking with assistance as his pain permits. Starting in 4 weeks we can begin a more aggressive program of exercises and mobilization.


Thank you Dr Scott Nelson, you're in my debt.

The photo above is of my dear friend John Huizinga praying for the little guy before his operation. I'm so thankful that this tough hunk of a Canadian has a heart of a Saint. I know he loves Jason as much as I do. We also both share in our belief that God is a healing God.

This is Jason coming home after the op. Its too small an image, so what you can't see is that little Jason has obviously been crying. I got these photos sent to me whilst at work and I confess that I had to retire to the loo to have 'a moment'

I received an email last night from John which gave me the latest: I was in the village yesterday afternoon and checked in with our little buddy and thought I would send over a couple of pics. He is doing fine but will need some serious additional TLC for the next couple of weeks. Right now one of the most important things is to keep his redirected foot and leg in a somewhat straight position.

I can't do TLC from England. The frustration builds daily to return.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Truly inspiring to read this.

It shows me so much of how God uses ordinary people so he can do extraordinary works.

Keep this blog going Jon.

christian charity said...

It was a great experience that each person should be enthusiastic to help others
http://www.ukchristiancharity.org/