Thursday 19 June 2008

More great news!

Firstly, go have a look at the new photos that Andy has put on the Web.

www.flickr.com/photos/andyindr

Secondly, following on from small bout of self pity you have responded in love and my heart is warmed as I have received 7 emails & 4 comments! Please forgive me if I do not reply as I am on limited time on-line, but rest assured you are making a difference to me - thank you!

Have spent yet another day at Los Algodones, and I have to say I am absolutely worn out! These yanks can work! They really are great people, who share a heart to serve. When you have a common goal , it can be a great leveler. There is plenty of banter about our accents and differing pronouncements. They can't get over how I say 'Pasta' for some reason.

Anyway, on to more serious matters: You may recall little Jason who is disabled and who had such an impact on me last year. (Andy has posted a photo of the little fella) He was up where we were building today, and we sat him on a chair and got him to give us back massages. He's getting strong! The sunburn didn't help though! I see such a difference in his countenance, and he's a right chatterbox! Yet another example of despair turned to hope.

But Hope is growing. I talked with the pastor (which the yanks pronounce pasta) and they have been so taken with his story that they have agreed to fund taking him to Santa Domingo for exploratory tests with the intention of getting him operated on. Imagine that! He would have his life back! He could go the school (which you built) and get a job. This seems almost incomprehensible when I think back to my visit in 2006. Any you don't think there's a God!!

The group pretty much runs itself, and so today I dissapeared with one little lad who had helped me clear some rubble. I kept saying 'no pesos' but he carried on working regardless. They want to be noticed so that when there is paid work they'll be remembered. That's resolve! Can you imagine us doing that? He was too young anyway (I guess about14) Anyway I rewarded him for his hours work by going and buying him a coke. Its those little interactions which I so enjoy. The little boy was on the 'On the Beach' video which is on You-tube, if any of you remember that. I really must learn some more spanish, however I am an expert in the art of mime!

The Americano's leave in Sunday. We still have much to do. Tomorrow we visit the Church in the Woods, the Hospital for the poor and the school in Aqua Negros (rough!) Our school has now been rendered on the outside and apart from putting the windows in, needs a paint and then its ready. I'm not sure I'll see that though. That will mean I will have to return again. I so want to. Want to come too? Go to www.missiondirect.org


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like back breaking work which wouldn't be so good for me!

I noticed you haven't written about the Yanks maiking comments about how you pronounce singing! and a few other words which I will be happy to discose for a gift to Mission Direct for any one reading this.

Good to see more photo's and put a face to a name, Jason.

I am pleased that things seem to be working out really well with the Yanks. Enjoy the last few ways with them.

Well done and keep up the good work.

see you soon.

Graham