Saturday 14 June 2008

Storm!

What a storm we had last night.

Deafening thunder, sheeting rain, stunning lightning! I lay in bed with the curtains open. It reminded me of a Hammer House of Horrors movie. I expected to see a dark soaking silhouette appear on the Balcony! Except in my mind it wasn't Boris Karloff, but some Haitian Sugar Cane worker with typical outsized baseball cap, machete and gum boots!!

I did rather let my mind wander.

It wandered to Mark, the flight attendant staying at the hotel. Marks bent as a nine bob note.

I'm reading a book by Tony Campolo at the moment. He talks about a pastor friend of his who supplements his meager earnings by doing funerals no-one else wants to do. He did the funeral of an AIDS victim, attended by about 30 of his gay friends. They sat there, heads bowed, uncomfortable. When it finished, the pastor asked if they expected anything else from the service. A man said ' I like Psalm 23, could you read that' So he did. Then, another said, do you know where it says in the bible something about nothing being able to separate us from the love of God. 'I know where that is' said the pastor, and read it for them.

The point is, These blokes wouldn't dream of going to a church. Because that's where they would be marginalized. Nothing can separate us from the love of God, but Christians can have a pretty good try!
I use the word marginalize a lot when I'm out in DR. Marginalized Haitians. Marginalized poor, marginalized dump dwellers, and yet there are people who are marginalized by Christians.

It just doesn't seem Christian.
It just doesn't seem to be what Jesus would do.

Last night, Andy & I had a beer with Mark and two other flight attendants. You know what, they were a laugh. Yes they were pretty vulgar, much was not even to my broadminded taste, but i was determined to treat them on a level. That's what Christ would have done. We've invited a few of the attendants to visit a Haitian slum with us. They seem generally interested. Why wouldn't they be!

I really hope that will happen.

Talking of the storm, I dread to think what it must be like to live in the slums when it rains like that. Its beautiful in the day time, but it's rained the last two nights. Hopefully the roads will still be passable.

I'm in the internet cafe, getting 95 pages of photocopies of the Americans application forms. The bulk of them arrive in an hour. In total we have 36 Americans (In truth I think thats too many, but I'm just thrilled to see so many people out here trying to make a difference so don;t take that a a moan!
The first family arrived yesterday. The Johnsons. Dads a man's man and we went running this morning. I like them already!

Holiday's over. Its going to get busy!


1 comment:

BOXER said...

Jon as you well know many people judge me to be a mindless thug due to being a (former) football hooligan, am I? Those who love me know the real me, they are the only people I care about. If people want to make a judgement about me because of what they think I am without ever getting to know me then I truly pity them the same goes for anyone judging another person for what they perceive them to be. Aren't we all equal in Gods eyes? If Mark takes the time to visit the great work you guys are doing out there then it will be because he cares not because he is gay or straight.

Ever since I was a child I have loved being in bed listening to a storm crash outside I think I would feel different about it if I were living in a rickety dwelling in a shanty town. Keep your spirits up as you say the hard work is about to come.

‘Lottie’ embarked on her journey today, if you feel a little sorry for yourself in DR spare a thought for her I’m sure you will forgive me when I say what you are doing is fantastic, what she is doing is out of this world, when you have a word with the man upstairs please put in a word for her.